This short course, aimed at those working in an early years setting, explores one of the prime areas of the Early Years Foundation Stage: Communication and language. This course outlines the importance of good communication skills to a child’s life, and how to build children’s confidence with language and show them that what they have to say is important and valued. It will consider the key role you play in this and how to role model effective communication. Additionally, you will learn how to reflect on how well you are communicating with children and others in your setting.
- The learner will be able to communicate with children in a way that supports the development of their speech, language, and communication, as appropriate for their age and stage of development
- The learner will understand they are role models for young children and as such, should be positively interacting with those around them
- The learner will know how to support children’s speech, language, and communication development in line with statutory guidance for England
Advantages of this course:
- Communication and language is a prime area in the EYFS and this course will help early years practitioners build their knowledge in this area and increase their understanding of the importance of being a role model for effective communication
- Learners will have an opportunity to reflect on their own speech, language, and communication skills and how effective they have been in supporting young children with their development in these areas
- A number of communication and language activities will be suggested to learners, along with advice for encouraging children who are not confident communicators
- Website and video resources are utilised to explore communication and language in the early years further
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
This course is endorsed by Cache.