This short course aims to look at some of the safety issues relating to the use of the internet, particularly by children. Internet usage has increased enormously, but so have reports of the safeguarding issues linked to abuses of internet communication. In this course the learner is introduced to some of the risks and dangers, and how to deal with them – including where to report online concerns and risks.
- Learners will learn that is important to be aware of the risks as well as the benefits in technology
- Learners will be able to talk to children about keeping themselves safe online
- Learners will become aware of how important it is to know what children are doing online
Advantages of this course:
- This course offers information to parents, grandparents, or anyone who may be concerned about risks a child may encounter on the internet. Many of the dangers online have only existed for a few years, and it is easy to be unaware of terminology and technology that children use every day.
- An internet safety checklist is included which suggests how internet activity should be approached with children of different ages
- The course includes a description of what is meant by such terms as ‘cyberbulling’ and ‘online radicalisation’, together with information on the organisations that exist to tackle these issues
- Website and video resources are utilised to explain the risks further
- Additional activities encourage the learner to reflect on the learning
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge