This short course is aimed at a health and social care professional who has responsibility for handling medicines. This course will outline good practice on the systems and processes for managing medicines in care homes.
- The learner will consider the benefits and risks associated with medication
- The learner will understand the steps to take when administering medicines
- The learner will be directed to best practice advice and guidance on managing medicines
- The learner will know what to do when the person they support is prescribed medicine and does not wish to take it
- Some of the side effects of medication will be explained to learners
Advantages of this course:
- On average, older people in care homes take seven different medications on a daily basis. If you are a health and social care practitioner that supports older people then you are likely to have responsibility for managing medicines. This is a big responsibility as the consequences of administering medicines incorrectly or not keeping accurate records can be extremely serious.
- This course will fill gaps in a practitioners knowledge and in some cases, help to reassure them that they are supporting the people they care for in the best possible way
- Website and video resources are utilised to explore medication management in more detail
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge