This short course, aimed at those working with children and young people, explores play and learning opportunities that can be facilitated outdoors. This course outlines the benefits of outdoor play to a child’s life, provides ideas for activities, and explains how to encourage children to expand and develop their imaginative play outdoors. Additionally, you will learn how to review your current outdoor play provision, plan a new space, and help children to manage risk.
- The learner will gain an appreciation of the outdoor environment and the opportunities it offers for healthy development
- The learner will know how to encourage children and young people to develop their imaginative play outdoors
- The learner will be able to review their current outdoor play provision and identify improvements
Advantages of this course:
- It is often reported that children nowadays are spending less time outside than ever before, this course will help practitioners to encourage children and young people to spend more time playing and exploring in a natural environment
- The benefits and necessity of outdoor play will be outlined to learners, and they will feel confident in passing this on to children, young people, and their families
- A number of outdoor activities will be suggested to learners, along with advice for balancing risk and opportunity when planning activities
- Websites and video resources looking at outdoor play are included in this lesson
- Additional activities encourage the learner to reflect on the learning
- There is also suggested extra reading that gives both practical information and links to websites to expand knowledge
This course is endorsed by Cache.