Baby room practitioners have a uniquely significant role because they influence sensitive human beings during the most formative period of life. This is a tremendous responsibility and privilege. This course looks at some of the special traits and complex skills a baby room practitioner needs to develop.
- Tasks and responsibilities of the baby room practitioner will be outlined to learners, an important one of these being communicating with parents and carers
- The learner will gain an understanding of how children start learning from birth, and how the first years of life are the most crucial in development of mind, body, and spirit
- This course will give learners an overview of all of the ways that a young child learns – through tactile and sensory play, music, repetitive movement, motor activity, and communication with parents / carers and peers. The learner will gain an appreciation of play as a way for young children to develop an awareness of the world around them
- The importance of sleep and rest for babies is stressed to learners and the concept of outdoor sleep is discussed
Advantages of this course:
- Babies engage life actively with all of their senses and emergent physical abilities. This is their way of learning about the world and much of their play consists of practising newly discovered motor skills. This course will outline the different types of play and give learner’s some ideas for stimulating play activities for babies.
- As a practitioner, you are a valuable resource for the developing child. This is a big responsibility, especially given the significance of the first few years of a child’s life to their future wellbeing, and this course will help you to feel prepared for caring and supporting the healthy development of young children; as well as giving you a pool of activities and knowledge to draw on when required.
- Reading texts, website, and video resources are utilised to explore the baby room in more detail and additional activities encourage the learner to reflect on the learning
This course was created in partnership with Community Playthings